Church of Sant’Agostino
The Church of Sant’Agostino is placed in such a way as to appreciate two sides, on the left the Murgia Materana and on the right the Sasso Barisano. The monks of the order of the Eremitani founded the convent in 1592. The suppression of the convent saw its premises used as a shelter for the troops. The original nucleus of the settlement is placed under the current structure, a series of underground rooms suitable for convent life.
The facade is an example of late Baroque while the interior is a Latin cross. Noteworthy is the 1770 pipe organ, gilded and painted by the Liguori brothers from Montemurro. On the counter-façade there is the coat of arms of the Augustinians: the heart of Jesus pierced by an arrow with a book and a belt at the bottom. This like many other churches of the Piano has replaced the cult of the Rock Churches of the Sassi. The Church of Sant’Agostino in particular has taken the place of the Chiesa Rupestre del Barisano.