San Pietro Barisano e Le Catacombe
San Pietro Barisano with its Catacombs is the Rock Church that most represents the transition between an ancient church carved into the tuff and a modern one. This rupestrian church is the largest in the city of stones and takes its name from the district where the Sasso Barisano is built. Its construction dates back to around the year 1000 and it too has undergone changes and restorations over time. In 1903, due to humidity, the cult was transferred, along with many sacred furnishings, to the current Church of S. Agostino. After the Sassi was abandoned between the 1950s and 1970s, many other works were stolen and damaged, however the church still has important paintings and furnishings that can be visited today.
This Rock Church and the Catacombs, together with the Rock Church of Santa Lucia Alle Malve and the Rock Church of Santa Maria de Idris is managed by OLTRE L’ARTE Cooperative Society a r.l.
For info and ticket booking Here